Microsoft Web Platform is a web installer software for products like:
- Visual Web Developer
- SQL Server Express
- Silverlight Tools
- IIS and ASP.NET Extensions and others
My target is download SQL Server Express 2008 installer and do a offline install. This is how it works:
- Go to MSDN download page.
- Download and install Microsoft Web Platform.
- Then choose to install SQL Server Express 2008 from the download page, skip the register and continue.
- Web Platform should be auto executed, then close the Web Platform.
- Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[User]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer
- Open a file called productCache184.108.40.206.xml using your favorite editor.
- Look for the <installerItems>, each product mentioned above should have 1 of these tags so you need to pick the one you want to install. For SQL Server Express 2008, you can see something like <eulaURL>http://www.iis.net/downloads/files/EULA/SQL_Express_2008.html</eulaURL>.
- Check out the <installerURL> tag, which contain the installer actual URL, for SQL Server Express 2008 it is http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=146798.
- Download the installer using the URL you found, then double click it to install the product.
To offline install Visual Studio Express without download the whole image file, you might refer here.