We might experience display problem in a Linux Machine after monitor is replaced, especially when changing a LCD with a CRT. To be more precise, the monitor cannot display the GUI anymore because of monitor refresh rate too high. So we need to adjust the refresh rate through the console.
- As the monitor goes blank when displaying the GUI, hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 to switch the display to console. Login as root.
- Change directory to /etc/X11, look for a file called xorg.conf.
- Make a copy of the file before making any changes.
cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.backup
- Edit the file with your favorite editor:
- Look for the Monitor Section (similar as below):
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
DisplaySize 340 270
HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
- Remove the line DisplaySize, HorizSync and VertRefresh, then save the file.
- Reboot the machine, and now it should able to display GUI.